How TENS Works
What is TENS therapy?
TENS (aka Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) therapy has been used for over 30 years by medical professionals such as physical therapists and chiropractors. With Omron TENS therapy, you hold the power to relieve aches and pains in the palm of your hand. It’s a 100% drug-free, prescription-free solution and takes about 15 minutes. Each unit offers multiple strength levels so you can dial in exactly the level of relief you need.
How does it work?
Scientific theory suggests that electrical stimulation therapy may work in several ways:
- The gentle electrical pulses move through the skin to nearby nerves to block or shut out the pain message from ever reaching the brain from the source of the pain.
- The gentle electrical pulses increase the production of the body’s natural pain killer, such as endorphins.
- Futhermore, it is thought that the electrical stimulation improves blood circulation as well. Muscles contract and relax with the flow of the electrical stimulation. With repeated contracting and relaxing, the blood flows in and out and the blood circulation is improved.
How to get started
- Personalize Your Therapy First, select the pain mode (i.e., lower back or arm) and then choose the intensity level. The programs are interchangeable and effective for multiple body parts. (Read the complete instruction manual carefully to safely and correctly use this pain management unit.)
- How Should It Feel? When Is It Working? Expect variations of tapping, tingling,massage-like sensations or even mild muscle contractions. Always start with low intensity and increase slowly. If the sensation feels uncomfortable, decrease the intensity and/or change the program. If the sensation becomes weaker or disappears, increase the intensity.
- How Long Should You Use It? Start with one 15 minute session. Always turn unit off with pads still on. Rate your pain to check your progress, 1 low to 10 high. Stop therapy session if pain has reduced or stopped.
How to control and reduce your pain
- When should I start therapy? As soon as your pain begins. Start with one session (Omron units automatically turns off at 15 minutes). Turn off with pads still on and RATE YOUR PAIN again (1 low to 15 high).
- Get to your pain early If you get to your pain early, it may prevent the pain form becoming worse, or even chronic. It’s better for you to get it under control sooner so that it does not reach a high pain threshold where it limits your daily activities.
- How long should you use it? Start with one 15 minute session. Always turn unit off with pads still on. Rate your pain to check your progress, 1 low to 15 high. Stop therapy session if pain has reduced or stopped. Press “On” button to continue therapy for another 15 minute session.
- When to stop using the unit? 1. If you experienced an adverse reaction (skin irritation/redness/burns, headache or other painful sensation, or if you feel any unusual discomfort). 2. If your pain does not improve, becomes seriously chronic and severe, or continues for more than five days. What type of pain is it best for? The therapy works best on acute pain because it is localized. Acute pain is pain in one area for less than 3 months. If you have chronic pain, you may have pain in more than one area and for longer than 6 months. Chronic pain may be compounded by other issues that this unit cannot address. Remember, this unit does not cure your pain or the original cause of the pain. It provides temporary relief or reduction of pain so that you can control your life and activities better.